26 May 2006

616 pages of "comprehensive"... oh, goody!

I still haven’t finished reading Senate Bill 2611.  It’s 616 pages long!

Normally I steer as clear as possible from conspiracy theory type thinking.  However, when I read certain congressional bills, I suspect that they are written to be as long and as tedious as possible just to make it as difficult as possible for the people to be aware of what our representatives are doing to us.  And when you read legislation you find the difficulty is increased because the bill you read has language like, “…such and such provision of such and such Title of US Code be amended as follows” and blah, blah, blah.  So you have to look up the referenced Title of the USC and read the bill in conjunction with it.  Aaaaargh!  If only I could find a way to make money reading bills.  Hmmmm.  Maybe I should run for congress.  But I digress.  (Incidentally, Title 8 of the U.S. Code, covers Aliens and Nationality.  Thought you’d like to know.  In case you, too, would like to try your hand at reading and understanding S. 2611.  Good luck with that!)

What I’ve read so far is not very encouraging.  So far I’ve read nothing to rebut Rush Limbaugh’s assessment of it as a Liberal Democrat-Moderate Republican attempt to destroy the Goldwater-Reagan conservative coalition in Congress by, among other things, creating yet another dependent class—the poverty-stricken illegal immigrants.  As Limbaugh put it:  “It’s got nothing to do with immigration, folks.”

I cannot at this point disagree.

0 comments:

About Me

James Frank Solís
Former soldier (USA). Graduate-level educated. Married 26 years. Texas ex-patriate. Ruling elder in the Presbyterian Church in America.
View my complete profile

Blog Archive